A Brief Guide to Bourbon
- POPULAR SPIRITS
Bourbon is an American whiskey, a type of distilled spirit, made primarily from corn and named for Bourbon County, Kentucky. It has been produced since the 18th century. While it may be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
On 4 May 1964, the United States Congress recognized Bourbon Whiskey as a "distinctive product of the United States." The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5.22) state that bourbon must meet these requirements:
- Bourbon must be made of a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn.
- Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume).
- Neither coloring nor flavoring may be added.
- Bourbon must be aged in new, charred oak barrels.
- Bourbon must be entered into the barrel at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume).
- Bourbon, like other whiskeys, may not be bottled at less than 80 proof (40% alcohol by volume.)
- Bourbon which meets the above requirements and has been aged for a minimum of two years, may (but is not required to) be called Straight Bourbon.
- Straight Bourbon aged for a period less than four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.
- If an age is stated on the label, it must be the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle.
In practice, almost all bourbons marketed today are made from more than two-thirds corn, have been aged at least four years, and do qualify as "straight bourbon"—with or without the "straight bourbon" label. The exceptions are inexpensive commodity brands of bourbon aged only three years and pre-mixed cocktails made with straight bourbon aged the minimum two years. However, a few small distilleries market bourbons aged for as little as three months.
Our Bourbon Collection can be found here.
© Copyright 2013 | The Distinct Whiskey Company. All Rights Reserved.
The Distinct Whiskey Company and the DWC Device is a Registered Trademark.
Licence Number: LIQP770010165
In order to access this site, you must be of legal drinking age in your country.
In Australia it is an offence to sell supply or to obtain liquor on behalf of a person under the age of 18 years.
All prices include GST
All transactions are processed in AUD$ by ANZ Banking Group, secured by a 256-bit SSL Encryption Certificate