Click image to zoom
RRP: AU $101.00
Our Price: AU $79.99
You can BUY GLENMORANGIE and other fine spirits by simply clicking on the list on the left, or by clicking the ADD TO CART button for this item. Your transactions are 100% protected by 256-bit encryption as stamped by TrustWave on the top right of this page.
The nose is full of winter berries and a touch of port. A good oak and a little cereal hanging in the substratum. The palate is sweet and thick. The port note is chewy and rich with notes of barley sugar and cereal and lots of juicy fruit and berries, a tad cloying. The finish is long and fruity and quite sweet.
2010 Silver Medal International Wine and Spirits Competition
(Source: San Francisco World Spirits Competition - www.sfspiritscomp.com)
Glenmorangie means "Glen of Tranquillity" in Gaelic. Illicit distilling here dates back to 1700's an inventory of goods, from a will recorded in 1640, provides the first direct evidence for the making of whisky in the Tain area. Matherson brothers founded the Glenmorangie Distillery in 1843; however rather than buy brand new stills, second-hand swan necked stills that had been used in a gin distillery were used. This is why the stills have narrow, arching swan necks. They are exactly 16 feet 10¼ inches tall (5.14 metres): making them the tallest stills in Scotland. During 1883 Mathersons rebuild the distillery and in 1887 the Glenmorangie Distillery Co Ltd was created
The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders were billeted at the Distillery, during the First World War (1914-18) the malt barns converted into makeshift barracks for the duration of each summer. Before the war ended, its largest single customer, Macdonald and Muir, acquired Glenmorangie.
By the beginning of the 1920s, the Distillery was in production again with its full complement of Sixteen Men. The distillery was closed between 1931-36 Down turn in the market and during the Second World War (1940-45). Securing a water supply had always been a problem; the Tarlogie Springs belonged to the local Laird, who leased the right to draw water from the springs to the Distillery However, the Laird could use the land surrounding the springs for any purpose - a situation that could have jeopardised the quality or quantity of the water. In the 1980s, there was a threat of a building development near the springs, so Macdonald and Muir acted to make sure that the water would be safe by buying 650 acres of the land surrounding the Tarlogie Springs. and secure the distilleries future. 1980 Stills increased from 2-4
In 1990 additional stills were added to the still house (now 8) to keep up with worldwide demand for Glenmorangie Single Malt. Then, in 2002, two more washbacks were introduced as demand continued to increase.
The Distillery continues to maintain the tradition of only employing Sixteen Men, who work around the clock, all year round, only stopping each year for Christmas and essential maintenance.
All prices are in AUD$. All transactions are processed in AUD$.